...on the Blue Ridge Parkway.
...in the woods.
...on a farm somewhere.
Or brought to your AirBnB or house!
Get the ultimate local experience by hiring Asheville's very own street poet. Normally found downtown or on the Blue Ridge Parkway, Cary Gray creates customized poems on the spot for passersby. He shares this unique gift in Asheville and at weddings and events by engaging you in a short conversation, followed by crunching away at his vintage typewriter until a finished poem is presented. He then recites the poem to each person.
Imagine you wanna bring the girls up to the mountains and have a few bachelorette party ideas in mind... and then imagine getting this unique Asheville experience brought right to you! This is more than a simple bachelorette travel idea, it seal your good vibes forever in a wax sealed custom poem. Enjoy the scenery of the Blue Ridge Parkway or other local backdrops while you share your story with a professional poet and watch as his fingers bring this to life in front of you.
How This Asheville Service Works:
1. Location. Choose a location with the help of the Poet. Having a chill celebration at the airbnb? That works too. Choose a setting or a backdrop for pictures that will make this experience shine!
2. What is a Picnic? 'Picnic' pertains to the setting and to the feast of words (not food.) The Poet will bring all of his own writing supplies, as well as group notepads, blankets, and his own card game concepts to warm up everyone's heart and mind. Whoever is planning the weekend will decide whether this will include food, other games, etc. Guests supply their own food and alcohol (check local laws where applicable.)
3. Set-up and Questions: Poet arrives on location and sets up. He can show up at start time or during ongoing festivities, and picks a quiet corner.
For couples: Poet will do a deep dive, asking all kinds of questions pertaining to how you two met, what your love languages are, funny memories, etc.
For groups: Poet will take one person at a time (or couples or besties within the group) and ask questions to find out your story.
4. Writing the Custom Poems. Either between talking to individuals (more common) or after having talked to everyone within the allotted time, the Poet will go into his head and write. From a respectful distance, watch him work. The typewriter is a beautiful machine to watch!
Together, these questions and creating a poem are called the Process & Poem, or the Poetic Process!
5. Reading the Poems. Each person or couple will be recited to. This can happen in private while the group carries on, or with the whole group watching. Often this is more of an intuitive choice, and it is *up to the recipient of the poem whether she wants privacy or not,* – no exceptions to that rule.
Cary the Poet strives to conduct himself with respect and patience...and an ounce of mischief, too. He wishes first and foremost to serve his customers, but also believes in strong boundaries around his Creative Process and around time/energy/emotions/respect.
Pricing for Poetry Picnics:
$500 for an hour
Often an hour is all you will need, though if you like, the rate becomes $400/hr after one hour.
Groups up to 10 (up to 15 under certain circumstances – please inquire.)
$500 for an hour for up to 4 guests, add $50/person flat rate for any individuals getting the Process & Poem. Anyone just watching need not be charged (kids, staff, napping parents, etc.)
$900 for two hours for up to 4 guests, add $50/person flat rate after 4 guests.
*Each Process & Poem takes up to 20 minutes, meaning that 3-4 guests (or sets, like couples or "throuples") can be served in one hour. Plan accordingly. The process can be shortened somewhat, or besties or couples can get a poem together. But, if you have a group of 6 or more, you must book more than one hour in order to provide everyone with the same unrushed, creative experience.